Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Music video shot with super 8 film

  1. #1
    Inactive Member jukkasil's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 26th, 2001
    Posts
    103
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    OK, Alex!

    Here is one super 8 oriented topic for you.

    One group from city called Tampere here in Finland made the second music video for my band (Sorb-I-Tol). The whole thing is shot with super 8 camera (Canon 814 AZE, Beaulieu 4008ZM and Bauer Royal 8 E) and Kodachrome 40.

    I made myself digital transfer with Workprinter and Riku Naskali from that film group edited the final version.

    The song is called "Al dente".

    Here are mpg and divx-versions of that video:

    http://www.sorb-i-tol.com/ALDENTE.MPG

    (23 MB)

    http://www.sorb-i-tol.com/ALDENTEDIVX.AVI

    (72 MB)

    All feedback is wellcome!

  2. #2
    HB Forum Moderator Alex's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 29th, 2000
    Posts
    11,383
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I just checked out the smaller file version.

    It makes me want to see the higher mb version because I can tell some contrast detail is lost via
    file size and perhaps my monitor.

    I have a different monitor I will try with the bigger file size. I'd rather wait to give feedback until I've seen the best version available to me.

  3. #3
    Inactive Member Scott Spears's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 29th, 2001
    Posts
    130
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Very impressive. Great look and the transfer looked great. Did you augment the daylight with anything like reflectors? The only problem spot were the shots in the woods with the woman on the hood of the car. It seemed like the contrast of K40 got too heavy and you lost too much detail in the blacks.

    So give us details like:
    Shooting schedule?
    Crew size? (I saw some crew in the flashframes.)
    Budget?
    How much film did you shoot?
    What did the band think of it?

    Scott

  4. #4
    Inactive Member jukkasil's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 26th, 2001
    Posts
    103
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by Scott Spears:
    Very impressive. Great look and the transfer looked great. Did you augment the daylight with anything like reflectors? The only problem spot were the shots in the woods with the woman on the hood of the car. It seemed like the contrast of K40 got too heavy and you lost too much detail in the blacks.

    So give us details like:
    Shooting schedule?
    Crew size? (I saw some crew in the flashframes.)
    Budget?
    How much film did you shoot?
    What did the band think of it?

    Scott
    <font size="2" face="verdana, sans-serif">Scott, one note:

    this band is my own one, I have composed, played and produced all our songs. Our singer Lotta Rytkonen has done vocal melodies and lyrics.
    We have this music video making project

    I offered possibility for couple film groups here in Finland to make their own music videos one of our songs.

    So two of videos are now ready, this "Al Dente"-one and video of our "Bluenoir" song (you can download it here:
    http://www.ideavideo.fi/video/bluenoir_400.wmv )

    We are also making one 60's-stylish video of song called "Tomodachi" and also a song named "Bossachutney", both of them will be shot with several super 8 cameras (Bauer 709, Canon 1014 XL-S, Canon 814 XL-S, Bauer Royal 10 E Makro, eumig 880 PMA etc.) .

    About questions you asked me:

    "Shooting schedule?"

    I think Riku Naskali's film group shot it during June 2003.

    "Crew size?"

    Something like 4 or 5 people including actors.

    "Budget?"

    Not more than 150-200 USD. Remember I transfered all films free for them with my Workprinter.

    "How much film did you shoot?"

    12 reels of K40.

    "What did the band think of it?"

    We just love it!

    "The only problem spot were the shots in the woods with the woman on the hood of the car. It seemed like the contrast of K40 got too heavy and you lost too much detail in the blacks."

    Yes, you're right. Riku had much problems with unexposed (80 fps) and overexposed footage. We disscussed it during editing and I told him to just use also these underexposed stuff, cause they give some nice dirty and artist feel for video and make it looking more like 70's stuff.

  5. #5
    HB Forum Moderator Alex's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 29th, 2000
    Posts
    11,383
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I'm on two deadlines today but I am looking forward to seeing the higher MB version of your music video.

  6. #6
    Inactive Member Greg Crawford's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 6th, 2002
    Posts
    603
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    As hard as it is finding actors out of Hollywood, I might consider using manikins. Nice touch.

    Ware did you shoot the beach scene, what country, city.. etc ?

    Again the beach and the car stuff where your best scenes.

    I would re-shoot the stuff that's to dark and use some kind of fill....

    In all it's a very nice piece.

  7. #7
    Inactive Member Scott Spears's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 29th, 2001
    Posts
    130
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I liked the 70s feel of the piece. It was edgy and dirty.

    Thanks for the insights on the production.

    Scott

  8. #8
    Inactive Member MovieStuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 28th, 2001
    Posts
    847
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I particularly liked the shots on the beach and in the water. The footage of the car driving and the guy running looked like something out of a big budget film. Really well done.

    Roger

  9. #9
    Inactive Member jukkasil's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 26th, 2001
    Posts
    103
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by Greg_C:
    Ware did you shoot the beach scene, what country, city.. etc ?
    <font size="2" face="verdana, sans-serif">Country: Finland

    City: Pori (in USA you'd know this city of Pori Jazz festivals), Yyteri beach (BTW. the house of my parents is 1 km from that beach!)

  10. #10
    HB Forum Moderator Alex's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 29th, 2000
    Posts
    11,383
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Just thought I'd bump this.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •